Airguns of the American West Part 2
Delivering Western Justice – The Umarex Colt Peacemakers
By Dennis Adler
Between May and November 1876 more than eight million people from the U.S. and around the world visited the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia. Roughly 20 percent of Americans got their first look at Colt’s new Peacemaker revolvers in this massive display cabinet containing a center pinwheel of 18 engraved Single Action Colts.
The Umarex Colt Peacemakers are more than just BB or pellet-firing CO2-versions of America’s greatest single action handgun; they are a tribute to one of the most significant eras in American history.
The original Colt SAA models were introduced in 1873 but the majority of early production was for the U.S. military, in fact, few civilians had even seen a Colt Peacemaker until 1874 or 1875. Many Americans actually got their very first glimpse of the new Colt revolvers in May 1876 at our nation’s International Centennial Exposition held in Philadelphia’s Fairmont Park. The Exposition was opened by President Ulysses S. Grant and Dom Pedro II, Emperor of Brazil. As thousands waited to enter they could see, close by, the vast Main Exhibition Building. Beyond were the towers and expanse of Machinery Hall, the Gothic barns of Agricultural Hall, the arabesque architectural intricacies of Horticultural Hall, the art galleries of Memorial Hall, and twenty-four state and other buildings covering 236 acres. At the time it was the largest exposition in American history.