by B.B. Pelletier

This is the second part of Vince’s guest blog. Based on the comments for the first part, I know you’ll enjoy reading and seeing more of Vince’s unique and clever handiwork.

If you’d like to write a guest post for this blog, please email me.

Bloggers must be proficient in the simple html that Blogger software uses, know how to take clear photos and size them for the internet (if their post requires them), and they must use proper English. We’ll edit each submission, but we won’t work on any submission that contains gross misspellings and/or grammatical errors.

Take it away, Vince!

Peeping Tom – Part 1

by Vince

Peeping Tom – Part 2

After the successful completion of Wayne’s rear peep sight mount, I had to give some thought to the front. The original sight is a dovetail mount that’s about a half-inch too low. For reasons previously explained, I’m not willing to modify the original part.


The original sight is a simple blade that’s far too low.

Suddenly, it hit me! The perfect solution! Simple, elegant and, above all, cheap! I whip out some electrical tape and presto! I’ve got a front sight!


Simple, light, adjustable, and flexible! It even tells you which way the wind is blowing. What’s not to like?

Then it hit me: the flaw with this design! It gives a new meaning to the term windage when your front sight flaps around in the breeze like this one would. So ,I nix that idea as a permanent solution, but I DO use it to determine how high the new front sight will need to be. I test fired the gun using the tape as a front sight, and trimmed it down until the elevation was about right at 10 yards. That told me what I needed to know. In all honesty, it really was the only reason I did this to begin with. Honest. Anyway, it turns out that the front needed to be just about 1.04″ above the centerline of the barrel bore.

I was kicking around how to best make a permanent sight while browsing around Home Depot, just looking at various things and trying to visualize how to do this. When I spied a piece of 3/8″ key stock, I decided I would be best off–gasp!–buying one and making something out of that. Wayne, you now owe me an additional $2.09 + tax, and I DON’T WANNA HEAR ANY GUFF ABOUT IT!

The hard part is hand-cutting the proper dovetail, which really isn’t that bad if you exercise a little patience, judgement and care. Which means that I had a devil of time of it. No matter, I managed to do it without overdoing it and got a set of very decent dovetails ground out of the key stock.


It took about 30-45 minutes to get the dovetail cuts just right.

After a lot of careful measuring, calculating and double-checking, I trimmed the keystock to length and ground out a “smile” on the end opposite the dovetail.


The curved cut-out will hold the hood.


I was really careful about measuring the overall length of this assembly. Remember that.

For the hood, I reverted back to one of my favorite materials–old copper water pipe. I sliced off a piece about 3/8″ long and bore a single hole in it so that it sat nicely on top of the other piece.


The hole lets the hood fit over the pin.


This is how it goes together.

Since this isn’t a highly stressed joint and there’s lots of surface area, I’m just soldered the hood onto the mount. So, I slopped up everything with soldering paste, mounted it (gently) in my vise and had at it.


Don’t laugh at my vise. It was $10 on Ebay. I got two of them.

The ever-so-carefully-crafted dovetail was a snug fit, but it went on.


I’m beginning to think this is gonna work….


Perfect!

I hate to say it, but I really like how this piece turned out. It’s very solid and gives a good sight picture with the Mendoza peep. And all that careful measuring and re-measuring I did? Phooey! I still got the height wrong by about 1/8″ or so. But I got it wrong in the right direction; it’s a little higher than I wanted, but the Mendoza peep has LOTS of vertical adjustment. So, it’s still well within the usable range. Besides, if Wayne goes shootin’ those light Hobby pellets, he may very well need more room for downward adjustment.

All that’s left is to finish the sight. I cold-blued the steel base and painted the copper hood to make it look half-way presentable.


Due to flash photography, it doesn’t look black. But it is.


The completed rifle. I think Wayne’s gonna like it.

That about wraps it up. Peeping Wayne can now peep to his heart’s content. I think he’ll find that it works well enough and gives him a good sight picture. And, perhaps best of all, he got his peep on the cheap, and it’s one I think he’ll keep.