Getting the Most out of your Spring Piston Air Rifle
Spring Piston Air Rifles use a metal mainspring under high tension to propel their projectiles. Spring-piston powerplants are most common in breakbarrels, under levers, and side levers. An easy way to jump into target shooting and small game hunting, spring piston air rifles are beloved by shooters for their tried-and-true design. One cock from your springer is capable of slinging shots at speeds exceeding 1000fps!
To ensure the longest life and best possible function from your spring-piston air rifle, be sure to follow these helpful guidelines:
General Tips and Maintenance for your Spring-Piston Air Rifle
1. Correct Lubrication is Key: Tune-in-a-Tube and RWS spring cylinder oil can be used to properly lubricate the spring and piston to smooth out the shot cycle of the gun. Click here for more on lubricating your airgun
2. Lubricating the Piston Seal: Only Crosman Silicone Lube and RWS Silicone chamber oil should be used for lubricating the piston seal, but use it sparingly. One or two drops every 100-2000 shots or as needed is all that is required.
3. Use a Spring Airgun Rated Scope: Leapers, Hawke, Athlon, and Mantis are all optics rated for use on spring piston rifles, and pistols. If you’re unsure if another brand will work, contact the manufacturer before mounting it.
4. Pellet Seating: Ensuring your pellet is properly seated can aid in accuracy. Pick up an AV Pellet Pen with Seater to make seating pellets quick and easy. (Available in .177 and .22 calibers). Click here for more info on Pellet Seating.
5. Do Not Leave your Spring Airgun Cocked: Do not leave cocked for more than a few hours at a time, ideally as short a time as possible. This will reduce the risk of wearing out your spring.
6. Cocking Effort: The more powerful the gun, the harder the cocking effort. Also, the shorter the barrel, the harder the cocking effort (especially important when selecting a break barrel pistol).
1. Spring Replacement: Tune Kits arevavailable for some guns – Vortek Kits, and are built to increase or decrease Spring Piston air rifle velocities. Call our Customer Support Team at (888) 262-4867.
2. Workbench Ready: Use the Air Venturi Rail Lock Spring Compressor for maintenance, seal, and spring replacement.