Getting the Most Out of Your Gas Piston Air Rifle
The gas piston airgun is a prize among target shooters and small game hunters. Using a container filled with compressed gas, the gas piston powerplant sends pellets screaming downrange with a single pump. Gas-Pistons can be found as breakbarrels, underlevers, and side lever airguns. With many variations for plinking, target shooting, and small game hunting abilities, gas piston air rifles are sure to star in backyard ranges for years to come. More questions about the gas ram system? Check out this blog post by Tom Gaylord, the Godfather of Airguns.
To ensure the longest life and best possible function from your gas piston air rifle, be sure to follow these helpful guidelines:
Tips for Maintaining Your Gas Piston Air Rifle
1. Lubrication: Gas-Piston air rifles do not require the level of lubrication a spring-piston needs, but correct lubrication of moving parts is important. For more info visit this page on Airgun Maintenance for Beginners.
2. Get a Gas-Piston Rated Scope: Leapers, Hawke, Athlon, and Mantis are all optics rated for use on spring piston rifles and pistols. If you’re unsure if another brand will work, contact the manufacturer before mounting it. Be sure to keep your mounting screws tight to avoid scope movement.
3. Piston Seal Lubrication–Use Sparingly: Only RWS Silicone chamber oil should be used for lubricating the piston seal, but use it sparingly. One or two drops every 1000-2000 shots or as needed is all that is required.
4. Do Not Leave Your Airgun Cocked: Do not leave cocked for more than a few hours at a time, ideally as short a time as possible.
5. Cocking Effort: The more powerful the gun, the harder the cocking effort. Also, the shorter the barrel, the harder the cocking effort (especially important when selecting a break barrel pistol).
6. Seat the Pellet Correctly: Pellet seating can help your accuracy! Pick up an AV Pellet pen w/seater and try it out (Available in .177 and .22). More on how to seat a pellet below.
For more info, check out the links below:
Get FREE shipping on qualifying orders!
Any order $150+ with a shipping address in the contiguous US
will receive the option for free ground shipping on items sold & shipped by Pyramyd Air during checkout.
Certain restrictions apply.
Free shipping may not be combined with a coupon unless stated otherwise.
View Shipping Info
We work hard to get all orders placed by 12 pm EST out the door within 24 hours on weekdays
because we know how excited you are to receive your order.
Weekends and holiday shipping times will vary.
During busy holidays, we step our efforts to ship all orders as fast as possible, but you may experience an additional 1-2 day delay before your order ships. This may also happen if you change your order during processing.
View Shipping Times
It's important to know that due to state and local laws, there are certain restrictions for various products.
It's up to you to research and comply with the laws in your state, county, and city.
If you live in a state or city where air guns are treated as firearms you may be able to take advantage of our FFL special program.
U.S. federal law requires that all airsoft guns are sold with a 1/4-inch blaze orange muzzle or an orange flash hider to avoid the guns being mistaken for firearms.
View Shipping Restrictions
We have a team of expert technicians and a complete repair shop that are able to service a large variety of brands/models of airguns.
Additionally, we are a factory-authorized repair/warranty station for popular brands such as
Air Arms, Air Venturi, Crosman, Diana, Seneca, and Weihrauch airguns.
Our experts also offer exclusive 10-for-$10 Test and 20-for-$20 Service, which evaluates your air gun prior to leaving our warehouse. You'll be able to add these services as you place your order.
View Service Info
Shop and purchase with confidence knowing that all of our air guns (except airsoft) are protected
by a minimum 1-year manufacturer's warranty from the date of purchase unless otherwise noted on the product page.
A warranty is provided by each manufacturer to ensure that your product is free of defect in both materials and workmanship.
View Warranty Details
Didn't get what you wanted or have a problem? We've got you covered! Return any item in new, unopened condition along with its original packaging and any accessories that might have come with your product and receive a refund within 60 days of purchase.
Our customer service team can help determine the best course of action and provide you with some options in the event you're interested in a return.
Learn About Returns
Join the Pyramyd Air mailing list: Our e-mails are filled with new products, deals, sneak peeks, tips and tricks, contests and more - sign up today!
Airgun safety is no accident. You must be 18 years or older to buy any air gun or air rifle in our store.
Text JOIN to 91256 and get $10 Off Your Next $50+ Order.