Getting the Most out of your Spring Piston Air Rifle
Spring Piston Air Rifles use a metal mainspring under high tension to propel their projectiles. Spring-piston powerplants are most common in breakbarrels, under levers, and side levers. An easy way to jump into target shooting and small game hunting, spring piston air rifles are beloved by shooters for their tried-and-true design. One cock from your springer is capable of slinging shots at speeds exceeding 1000fps! Although, we do recommend slowing that down to under 950fps with heavier pellets so as to not break the sound barrier and keep the noise level down.
To ensure the longest life and best possible function from your spring-piston air rifle, be sure to follow these helpful guidelines:
General Tips and Maintenance for your Spring-Piston Air Rifle
1. Correct Lubrication is Key: Tune-in-a-Tube and RWS spring cylinder oil can be used to properly lubricate the spring and piston to smooth out the shot cycle of the gun. Click here for more on lubricating your airgun
2. Lubricating the Piston Seal: Only Crosman Silicone Lube and RWS Silicone chamber oil should be used for lubricating the piston seal, but use it sparingly. One or two drops every 100-2000 shots or as needed is all that is required.
3. Use a Spring Airgun Rated Scope: Leapers, Hawke, Athlon, and Mantis are all optics rated for use on spring piston rifles, and pistols. If you’re unsure if another brand will work, contact the manufacturer before mounting it.
4. Pellet Seating: Ensuring your pellet is properly seated can aid in accuracy. Click here for more info on Pellet Seating.
5. Do Not Leave your Spring Airgun Cocked: Do not leave cocked for more than a few hours at a time, ideally as short a time as possible. This will reduce the risk of wearing out your spring.
6. Cocking Effort: The more powerful the gun, the harder the cocking effort. Also, the shorter the barrel, the harder the cocking effort (especially important when selecting a break barrel pistol).
1. Spring Replacement: Tune Kits are available for some guns – Vortek Kits, and are built to increase or decrease Spring Piston air rifle velocities. Call our Customer Support Team at (888) 262-4867.
2. Workbench Ready: Use the Air Venturi Rail Lock Spring Compressor for maintenance, seal, and spring replacement.
Get FREE shipping on qualifying orders!
Any order $150+ with a shipping address in the contiguous US
will receive the option for free ground shipping on items sold & shipped by Pyramyd Air during checkout.
Certain restrictions apply.
Free shipping may not be combined with a coupon unless stated otherwise.
View Shipping Info
We work hard to get all orders placed by 12 pm EST out the door within 24 hours on weekdays
because we know how excited you are to receive your order.
Weekends and holiday shipping times will vary.
During busy holidays, we step our efforts to ship all orders as fast as possible, but you may experience an additional 1-2 day delay before your order ships. This may also happen if you change your order during processing.
View Shipping Times
It's important to know that due to state and local laws, there are certain restrictions for various products.
It's up to you to research and comply with the laws in your state, county, and city.
If you live in a state or city where air guns are treated as firearms you may be able to take advantage of our FFL special program.
U.S. federal law requires that all airsoft guns are sold with a 1/4-inch blaze orange muzzle or an orange flash hider to avoid the guns being mistaken for firearms.
View Shipping Restrictions
We have a team of expert technicians and a complete repair shop that are able to service a large variety of brands/models of airguns.
Additionally, we are a factory-authorized repair/warranty station for popular brands such as
Air Arms, Air Venturi, Crosman, Diana, Seneca, and Weihrauch airguns.
Our experts also offer exclusive 10-for-$10 Test and 20-for-$20 Service, which evaluates your air gun prior to leaving our warehouse. You'll be able to add these services as you place your order.
View Service Info
Shop and purchase with confidence knowing that all of our air guns (except airsoft) are protected
by a minimum 1-year manufacturer's warranty from the date of purchase unless otherwise noted on the product page.
A warranty is provided by each manufacturer to ensure that your product is free of defect in both materials and workmanship.
View Warranty Details
Didn't get what you wanted or have a problem? We've got you covered! Return any item in new, unopened condition along with its original packaging and any accessories that might have come with your product and receive a refund within 60 days of purchase.
Our customer service team can help determine the best course of action and provide you with some options in the event you're interested in a return.
Learn About Returns
Join the Pyramyd Air mailing list: Our e-mails are filled with new products, deals, sneak peeks, tips and tricks, contests and more - sign up today!
Airgun safety is no accident. You must be 18 years or older to buy any air gun or air rifle in our store.
Text JOIN to 91256 and get $10 Off Your Next $50+ Order.