This is a special guest blog from reader Pat Gray. He bought a Beeman C1 from me at the Arkansas airgun show. It had issues he and put it back into commission, so I asked him to write this guest blog about it. This is Part 2 of a great one because Pat is going to show us a couple things we haven’t seen!

If you’d like to write a guest post for this blog, please email me at blogger@pyramydair.com.

Part 1

Take it away, Pat.

My new/old Beeman C1: Part 2

by Pat Gray

This report covers:

  • How to do it
  • KISS
  • Does it work?
  • Back to the rifle
  • Power
  • On to accuracy
  • Summary

Before I start with the report on the C1 I want to show everyone a way I thought of to measure the cocking force of breakbarrel air rifles. When the idea first struck me it seemed that the way to do it would be to make a sling that would hold the gun while pulling down on the barrel with an archery type scale hanging off of the wall. The archery scale has a built in hold feature to determine the highest weight recorded during the pull.

How to do it

I kept running it around in my mind with various schemes to hold the gun during the process of measuring from cutting off a gun case to building something out of plywood.

Then it hit me. Just make a sling to go over the end of the barrel and hold onto the rifle myself! Keep it simple, stupid. I bought a cheap handheld digital scale on Amazon. I already had some scrap leather and a coat hanger, so I went to the leather store (Tandy) and put this together in about 20 minutes.

KISS

C1 cocking scale sling
The first iteration of the cocking sling was simple and straightforward. The white handle is the scale.

C1 cocking scale sling 2
The scale’s readout is in the handle.

C1 cocking scale and sling on barrel
There is the scale and sling hanging from the C1 barrel.

Does it work?

I tested the cocking stroke on the C-1 for the first 10 shots that went over the chronograph. I measured 22.xx lbs. for nine of the ten shots. Shot number eight was 17.42 lbs. To test the accuracy of the scale I broke out my Beeman R1 as it is a heavy cocking gun.  Five pulls on it measured 41.xx lbs. for each cocking cycle. The decimal place reading varied about +/- .30 lbs. during each cycle. That’s pretty much in the ballpark.

C1 wider strap
I made a wider strap for the top strap as I did have the sling try to slip up the barrel once during testing.

All that said I have no way of knowing how accurate this method is but it is consistent for the most part. Hopefully it can be a good tool to monitor the health of your air rifle.

Back to the rifle

When we left off last time I was going to chronograph and shoot the rifle for accuracy. Since then I decided to send off and get a new seal to see if it made any difference in where the barrel stopped during the cocking cycle. I told you about that in Part 1. Do you remember that discussion? I received the seal and installed it but it did not make any difference in the lock-up that I could tell. Well, at least we now all know that.

I was also having a problem keeping a scope on the rifle. Heavy scopes wanted to slide off and lighter scopes let so little light through I could only shoot during the day. Day shooting is a problem for me as I’m still gainfully employed and married, either of which can eat up a lot of daylight. But I’m thankful for both.

Find a Hawke Scope

Power

I wanted to calm down the shot cycle to make it easier to keep a scope mounted. When I took the rifle apart to determine the best path forward for calming the shot cycle, it was apparent that there were two choices. Either lighten the very heavy piston (9.8 oz.) or cut some more off the spring. I chose the latter and I used a different mainspring. In Part 1 I told you that this one is a Beeman R10 spring that was bent at the end. I have already removed three inches of the spring to straighten it. That gave me the following performance with Daisy 7.5-grain wadcutters.

High…..Low….Avg…..Std. Dev….Spread….Energy
707…….683…..693……9.13…………24……..…7.88

I now removed another 2 coils from the spring. After reassembly I shot the rifle over the chronograph again with the following results with Crosman 7.4-grain wadcutter pellets.

High…..Low….Avg…..Std. Dev….Spread….Energy
626…….606…..617……6.57……….…20……..…6.27

The shot cycle is now much calmer and I can keep a scope mounted!

On to accuracy

I shot the rifle off of a bag at 10 meters. At the end of the session I shot one group off a monopod to see if that would make any difference.

C1 Daisy wadcutters
Six of the ten Daisy wadcutters tried to group.

C1 Crosman wadcutters
Crosman wadcutters did not produce a good group.

C1 RWS Diabolo
RWS Diabolo. Again six of the ten trying to group

C1 RWS Meisterkugeln Rifle
Eight of ten RWS Miesterkuglen Rifle pellets showed some promise.

0C1 RWS R10 Match
RWS Match 10 Were shot off of a monopod.

One thing that is being revealed here is that Pat is not a very good shot.

Summary

In conclusion, I like how this rifle is now very easy to cock. It is an all day shooter. The shot cycle is very pleasant which goes with the extended shooting session.

Basically this C1 is a good plinking rifle that anyone so-minded could enjoy. If it had open sights it might be better suited for close-in small pest control at full power.