This report covers:
- Back story
- Back to the present
- Why the original trigger blade may have been broken
- Last task
- Fixed the safety
Today we look at the Rekord trigger that’s in the HW 54 EL breakbarrel air rifle that I reported on in the report titled, Repairing a Rekord trigger. I knew it was broken and I showed that to you.
This Rekord trigger blade has been broken at the pivot hole.
At the time I didn’t know how the trigger blade could have been broken. Then I looked at it closer last Friday and may have discovered the reason. I say I may have discovered it because until I investigate further I really can’t say. What I’m about to write was also written in the report linked above.
I recently received a vintage Weihrauch air rifle that I will tell you about in the future. When I looked at the barreled action that came from the shipping box, the trigger blade was flopping around in an uncharacteristic way. I examined it and saw what you see in the first photo. The hole where the pivot pin passes through has split open! I have never seen this in my 40 years of looking at Rekord triggers. Apparently it happens, though I don’t know how.
Back to the present
Now we are back to today’s report. I knew the trigger blade was broken, so I tried to install a setback trigger blade sold by TR Robb. That was all in the linked report. But I never got that trigger working, so last Friday I removed the Rekord trigger assembly from the rifle and tried to get that setback trigger working.
After installing the setback trigger blade I discovered that the trigger weight adjusting screw was in the way.
After discovering that the Rekord trigger weight adjustment screw was in the way I spent some time trying to fit the small screw that came with the setback trigger kit into the trigger. Then, when I discovered that it didn’t fit, I spent about two hours grinding down the trigger pull adjustment screw and cutting a new slot to get the trigger to clear. And when I say I did it, I really mean my neighbor, Denny did most of the work.
I tried for some time to find out where the screw in the kit (left) went, but was unable to. So I decided to cut down the Rekord screw (right).
Denny measures the Rekord adjustment screw.
Denny grinds the Rekord adjustment screw head on his Shopsmith rotary sanding disk.
Denny carefully files a new slot for a screwdriver blade. BB did some of this, as well.
After grinding down the head, we filed a new screwdriver slot. The aluminum screw is held tight in the vise jaws and protected by leather.
We had to do this two times to get the clearance needed for the trigger blade to clear the screw head, and then just barely. And that is when I discovered this triggers real problem. Apparently the grease in the trigger assembly has aged and hardened and it too viscous for the parts to move as they should. However I also see that the sear has been polished, so somebody has had the trigger assembly apart, because Weihrauch doesn’t do this. Also, the grease in the trigger assembly is more viscous than the grease Weihrauch uses.
After the second attempt I cocked the rifle to see whether the trigger would hold. I had adjusted screw 52b, thinking the setback trigger needed it, and I had to put it back before the trigger would catch and hold the piston. Since the trigger return spring was not under tension I had to push the trigger blade forward with my thumb to get the sear to catch.
Why the original trigger blade may have been broken
And this is where I found out perhaps why the original Rekord trigger blade was broken. After cocking the rifle no amount of pulling the trigger would fire the rifle. Now the setback trigger blade is steel, so I could pull hard without damaging it, but the original Weihrauch blade is made from some sort of zinc metal. It well might be that someone tried to fire the rifle with the thick grease in the trigger and broke the trigger blade trying.
The rifle was now cocked with the trigger incapable of firing it. So I took it over to the rubber mulch box, flipped it upside down and tapped screw 52b (the sear) with a hammer. It fired then.
As I said yesterday, this Rekord trigger can’t be used until it is disassembled and cleaned and perhaps repaired. Until I get it apart I won’t know whether someone has goofed up some of the parts. At the very least I need to clean the thick grease off all the parts and lubricate them correctly!
Fixed the safety
Since the trigger assembly was out of the rifle I removed the safety. It was operating very sluggishly until I cleaned out the thick grease and lubricated it with Ballistol. Now it works crisply, as it should.
I didn’t take the action apart this time because I want to shoot it first to see how it does. But to take the powerplant apart the end cap must be unscrewed from the spring tube.
To remove the end cap the ether injection tube must first be removed because it is attached to the end cap by two screws and to the spring tube by one screw. The end cap cannot be removed before the ether injection tube is removed first. We are all curious about this tube so I did remove it — just to take a picture.
Two screws at the rear of the ether injection tube hold the tube to the end cap…
… and one screw at the front of the tube holds it to the rifle’s mainspring tube.
The ether tube is off the rifle.
There you have it. I spent about 4 hours with the 54 EL last Friday, trying to get that setback trigger to work. I think I have a Rekord trigger that’s either lubricated incorrectly or one with parts that have been modified or adjusted incorrectly. I plant to install a Rekord from another Weihrauch rifle to get the 54 EL operational and the broken Rekord is a project I’ll get back to.