by B.B. Pelletier

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

There is a special sales coupon on the home page for all who intend to vote. Those who are eligible, please take advantage of living in a free country and let your vote be heard.

Today, I’m going to clean, lubricate and adjust the Rekord trigger of Wayne’s HW55 Tyrolean. After that’s done, the path will be clear to finish the tuneup.

Cleaning first
The trigger in Wayne’s rifle has never been touched since it was shipped from the factory. I know that from the characteristic overuse of grease on all the parts. A Rekord needs very little lubrication and only on one critical spot. Since it’s nearly impossible to get all the metal parts completely dry (and we don’t want that, either), the miniscule bit of lube that remains on their surfaces is all that’s required.


When a Rekord looks like this, you can be certain it hasn’t been cleaned since leaving the factory.

Getting off the old grease isn’t an easy task. Not only has it hardened in place, it’s caused the metal underneath to corrode. This is very common on Weihrauch triggers. I scraped off the corrosion with a knife blade and applied Ballistol to neutralize the metal underneath.

This is where a parts cleaner would come in handy. Lacking one, I used Q-tips and paper towels, besides the knife blade, to remove the old grease.


After a lot of scraping, the parts cleaned up pretty well.

Then lubrication…
Once all the grease was off, I lubed the one contact point where the sear holds the piston latch lever.


The only real place to lubricate a Rekord is here (the parts seen through the round hole), where the sear holds the piston latch. To cock the trigger this way, press down on the back of the piston latch.

…And adjustment
Then it was time to adjust the trigger. I found the sear contact set far too deep, something I’ve never seen in a factory Weihrauch trigger. Normally, I advise against adjusting the sear contact screw, but this time I had to in order to get the trigger to break as it should. I also lightened the tension on the trigger return spring. I will wait to test it in the rifle, but it feels like it’s breaking at a pound or a little less.


The Allen screw at the left of center is the adjustment for sear contact. It’s part No. 52b on the Weirauch parts diagram. Screw it in (clockwise) to reduce the sear contact.

To test the sear engagement, cock the trigger by pressing down on the back of the piston latch. Then slowly squeeze the trigger until it releases. This is a two-stage target trigger, so there must be two distinct stages felt. The first stage must stop positively, then the second stage has to break cleanly with zero creep. A properly adjusted Rekord will do this as well as any trigger made.

This job took about an hour because I knew exactly what to do. If it was your first time, you’d want to spend about twice that long just to make sure you got it right.

Finally test the trigger
This part is now set aside for assembly into the tuned rifle. When it is in the gun, I will cock the rifle and attempt to bump the trigger off engagement several times, with the gun held in several attitudes. There’s no safety on the 55 model, so the trigger has to do it all. We need to make sure it’s safe under all conditions.